Saturday 9 November 2013

Mosaic Shock Therapy

I’d planned to run some mundane errands today in Chiswick and Hammersmith.  The weather was horrible and I wasn’t packing any equipment, not even my little Sony.  I got on the first train I could and instead of getting off at Gunnersbury, I did so at South Acton, thinking this might have been closer to Turnham Green.  On my way through a residential area, I noticed firstly that the houses were a bit bigger and architecturally nicer than my street (terrace envy) and then secondly, an unusual break in the Victorian-themed backdrop.  There was a huge mosaic on the back wall of a garden as well as painting and mixed media up the entire rear elevation of the mid-terrace house.  Quite arresting: colourful, funny and shouting to be noticed.  I learned later from the Londonist that this is The Treatment Rooms, apparently owned by a Baroness Von Reichardt and this is her “ongoing self-contained conceptual piece of mosaic art.” How cool is that? And how great is the iphone camera?











































No comments:

Post a Comment