Friday 21 November 2014

A Journey to the Exotic East

I love my village – it’s small, leafy and very quiet. Not too much happens in Kew, apart from our two cultural beacons – Kew Gardens and the National Archives. But as a single mum of two teenage girls, it has been a place of relative safety. I certainly know the neighbours on my terrace better than I ever did on the other side of the M25. 

And despite all the gorgeousness of the architecture, poshness of the stores, elegance of the Richmond Park deer herds and bustle of the coffee shops, it does lack the single thing that East London has in abundance: cool.

Brick Lane, Shoreditch, Whitechapel & Hackney – I love them all. There’s no where in London like these neighbourhoods because they appear to be not so planned as all the others; not so constrained (physically & psychologically). The creativity of the inhabitants spills from their minds onto the pavements and walls, restaurants and stalls. It’s as close as you can get to feeling like you’re abroad whilst never leaving the country. I can’t wait for my next excursion.










No comments:

Post a Comment